Originally a Victorian Gothic perpendicular style, building with a 40 foot high Great Hall, Hove Town Hall was designed by renowned Architect Alfred Waterhouse in 1882.
Hosting concerts and society events, the building was a much celebrated landmark in the City. There was a 110 foot tower containing a 12-bell carillon and a clock with 4 dials (each measuring 7 feet x 6 inches) and illuminated faces. Gillet and Bland of Croydon supplied the bells which cost £1,567 and played 14 different tunes including Home Sweet Home, Men of Harlech, Auld Lang Syne, Rule Britannia, God Save the Queen and Sussex by the Sea.
In the early hours of Sunday 9th January 1966, catering contractors cleared up after a dinner and dance held by a Crawley engineering firm. A fire started, which had destroyed the Great Hall, the Council Chamber, offices and the Magistrates’ Court.
Lord Rupert Nevill opened the new Hove Town Hall on 5 March 1974. A new extension was added in 1991 to house the Registrar’s office, a Citizen’s Advice Bureau and a Tourist Information Centre.